Sunday, January 23, 2011

Difference in Learning v. Development

Hopefully, we all learn something every day. I learned how to Skpe yesterday. (...and I learned how weird I look on that webcam, yikes!) But it's a true sign of failure when we keep making the same mistake over and over, and in fact, I heard a speaker say recently that success and failure aren't opposites in her mind. If she "failed" at something, she thinks of that as something she nows knows doesn't work!  And I love that definition. Isn't that liberating! How many times do we hold ourselves back because we might fail? It might not work out?

But development is different than learning. Development is an intentional plan of improvement. It's focused, and has an outcome. So, coaching may involve learning, but really, effective coaching is development.

No comments:

Post a Comment