Thursday, January 20, 2011

Is it Right or Right?

Provoking thought and discussion around ethics today - thought we would review the ICF's Code of Ethics, and pretty much review what I assumed I already knew. However, the faculty member pointed out that ethical decisions are many times the choice between two right options.  If it's illegal, it's obvious to most, we hope. And if it's a matter of right v. wrong, it's character. But he shared the common dilemma is where there are two right decisions.  And from Rushworth Kidder, shared ways to look at the decisions - the lens of truth v. loyalty; self v. community; justice v. mercy. Someone in my small group works for Mars (she's been bringing in bags of chocolate - got to love that!) and she shared a recent example of a factory worker who saw someone fall. In an attempt to help them, they not only broke the safety policy, but the worker had their hand severed. And the safety policy clearly states the consequence of violating rules is termination. Talk about a tough decision. She said the toughest part was coaching and influencing the rest of the team - their overall response was "How could you do that?"  

Our group talked a lot about real ethical examples and I realized how close these right v. right ethical decisions are in our every day world. What are my beliefs about the process?  What information or values do I use? Why do I lean one way or the other? When do I make exceptions?  When I don't share common values with others, especially someone I am coaching, or perhaps a stakeholder, how do I approach it?  Is it right or right?  

No comments:

Post a Comment