Thursday, March 3, 2011

I am the Board, Not the Piece

You'd think it would be easy to create post after post during my week's class each month. There is a lot of coaching and leadership material for me to use.... But honestly, I can't think of a thing to write because I'm so busy "drinking from a fire hose!" Every cell in my body seems to be transforming at some level, and it just takes me some time to consciously figure out what it means to me.  I can also say there are feelings of being "consciously incompetent" as I go through the competency ladder with new sets of skills - the knowledge that I now know what I don't know! Uggh.

So, I'm going to quote Rosamund Stone Zander and Ben Zander from "The Art of Possibility" to share what I am thinking and feeling right now:  "When you identify yourself as a single chess piece-and by analogy, as an individual in a particular role-you can only react to, complain about, or resist the moves that interrupted your plans. But, if you name yourself as the board itself, you can turn all you attention to what you want to see happen, with none paid to what you need to win or fight or fix. ... You, as the board, make room for all the moves, for the capture of the knight and the sacrifice of the bishop, for your good driving and the accident, for your miserable childhood and the circumstances of your parents' lives, for your need and another's refusal. Why? Because that is what is there. It is the way things are."

That's pretty powerful for me....if I am the board, and not the piece, then it opens up a whole new framework for me to create. My life has power not from what happens, but from my choice of response. How many times do we fight and struggle because we think of ourselves as the piece, not the board? I limit my thinking, my options and my joy if I am anything but the board.

No comments:

Post a Comment