Monday, March 14, 2011

Making room for the Answers

I really don't like it, well, actually, I hate it, when I don't have the answer to something I want. A lot.  I feel like I have the ability to figure it out and come up with something that works for me if I think about it long and hard enough. But the real power comes from making room, or emptying myself. If I have the question and the answer, there's no room, right? But, if I allow the space, the silence, the not-knowing, all of a sudden, I allow the possibility of something ELSE showing up.

It's the story in Susan Scott's Fierce Conversations which hits me right now.... "I am reminded of the story of the man who visits a Zen master. The man asks, "What truths can you teach me?" The master replies, "Do you like tea?" The man nods his head, and the master pours him a cup of tea. The cup fills and the tea spills." Still the master pours. The man, of course, protests, and the master responds, "Return to me when you are empty." The lesson here is that we need to empty ourselves of our preconceived beliefs in order to be open to a broader, more complex reality. .....Before we can learn, we must unlearn. Enjoy the cup!"

No comments:

Post a Comment